Director / Altointegra Ltd
Sept 2012 - Current
Principal Electronics Engineer / JCB Research Ltd
Aug 2014 - Dec 2016
Senior Electronics Engineer / JCB Research Ltd
Jan 2012 - Aug 2014
- Siemens PLM.
- Auditing and Authoring JCB standards.
Senior Design Engineer / Trimble MRM (UK)
Feb 2007 - Dec 2012
Responsible for the conception, design and development of the AVG-10, AVG-540, AVG-550, AVG-650, AVG-660, T-SCAN, HandyCAN 2/3, EV - Battery Integration System (CANBIS ECU) and Vehicle Interface Module products. Responsibilities included requirements capture, initial design concept, schematic capture, prototyping, PCB layout, low level drivers, production test firmware, liaison with manufacturing and creation of bespoke customer firmware and PC support applications for retrieving, processing and secure data delivery. All products are aimed at vehicle interfacing, asset tracking, remote diagnostics, end of line manufacturing test stations, driver interfacing and integration with third party systems in both the Aftermarket and O.E.M. Automotive sectors. A key figure in the product development cycle of the TVG-660 telematics/tracking platform and a number of bespoke customer engineering solutions. The role involves providing leadership and mentoring to other engineering staff, team members, direct liaison with customer and manufacturing facilities.
- Embedded 32bit ARM7/9 (NXP, STMicroelectronics), Infineon C164/C167 and Microchip PIC 16/18 Series hardware design, low level firmware device drivers and RTOS.
- JTAG and In circuit debugging, In Application Programming.
- RF based hardware platform design for GSM, GPRS, EDGE, CDMA and 3G technologies.
- Power supply design for automotive environments.
- ESD/EMI design, protection and certification.
- Analogue and Digital interface design.
- Global Positioning System (GPS).
- Universal Serial Bus (USB) design.
- SAE J1979 (OBDII/EOBD), J1939(FMS), J1850, ISO14230 (KWP2000), ISO9141, LIN, RS485 interfacing and firmware drivers.
- Production test fixture design and test firmware.
- Multilayer PCB design with focus on RF, EMC and ESD requirements (Easy PC).
- Hardware enclosure design.
- Hardware/firmware test and validation.
- Technical and manufacturing documentation.
- Rowley Associates - Crossworks 1.7 for ARM.
- Oracle Agile – Product Lifecycle Management.
- Alibre Design v12.1 – Mechanical 2D/3D CAD.
- Embedded Real Time Operating Systems (freeRTOS).
- Vector Informatik Tools – CANoe, CANalyser, CANdb+ and CAPL Programming.
Software Development Engineer / Accutest Ltd
Feb 2005 - Feb 2007
Responsible for development of the ATLAS hardware-in-the-loop (HIL) test suite and ValidATE hardware test system.
- CAN 2.0A and 2.0B.
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 .NET (C#, C++).
- Number One Systems – Easy PC, PCB schematic capture and Layout CAD.
Software Development Engineer / Cyclone Technology Limited
Jun 1999 - Feb 2005
Responsible for the support and development of ‘DataStream’, distributed by Itheon (UK) as ‘RoboCentral™ - Console Management System’. The solution was a real-time network monitoring and management process running as a NT Service, which is administered over LAN/WAN using a graphical UI. Primary responsibilities were the design and development of the GUI, Admin, Simulator, documentation and application deployment.
- Microsoft Foundation Classes (MFC), C/C++, Win32 API’s, Windows Sockets (Winsock2), Service Control Manager (SCM) integration, Active Template Library 3.0 & 7.0 (ATL) based ActiveX controls, Multi-threading.
Responsible for the conception, design, implementation and support of the ‘Chieftain’ product. This product is based around a SQL database (accessed using SQL-DMO) and allows small businesses to manage all aspects of their operation from resource allocation to costing and profits. The application used an MFC based framework with an extensible and modular ‘snap-in’ design utilising COM interfacing.
This role also involved providing leadership to a small team of support and admin staff.
- Microsoft VC++ 7.1, VB 6.0, Visual Studio 6.0, Visual Studio .NET 2003, Standard Template Library, Distributed COM and COM+, GDI+, MSDE/SQL 2000 Server management using SQL-DMO, HTML, XML, XSL, XPATH, VBScript and Jscript.
- Team co-ordination and project planning.
Responsible for creating automated project builds, testing, application integrated documentation and installation packages using:
- VisualBuild Pro, Sourcegear’s SourceOffsite, Help and Manual 3.50, VMWare Workstation, InstallShield Professional, Developer 7.x and Installshield 10.5.
- Windows XP, Server 2000 and 2003 administration.
- Network Installation/Administration.
- Software updates and computer configuration for administration/support staff.
Multimedia Development Project Engineer / Avro International Aerospace
May 1998 - Jun 1999
Responsible for the conception, design and writing of Windows applications used as part of the crew training syllabus for RJ/146 Pilot/Engineer training (Computer Aided Training / Computer Based Training).
- Microsoft VB 4.0, 5.0 and VC++ 4.0, Jasc Paint Shop Pro 7, Corel Draw 7, 3D Studio MAX 2.x,
- Network Installation/Administration for the Customer training Centre.
Flight Simulator Engineer / British Aerospace – Regional Aircraft
Sep 1995 - May 1998
Responsible for daily maintenance of Reflectone Inc. built BAe146 Cockpit Procedural Trainer, BAe146 and RJ Avroliner Full Motion Flight Simulators. Involving fault diagnosis, software rectification and modification of simulation models
- Simulation model modifications/additions in Fortran 77+ and Microsoft C (V1.0).
- Familiar with MPX-32 and UNIX operating systems.
- Proficient in VME, Encore RSX and Concurrent 32/67, ESIG-200/250 Wide Visual systems.
- Created/modified visual models for Evans & Sutherland ESIG-200/250 visual systems using Thomson Training & Simulation SPX modelling system.
Conceived and wrote a windows solution to provide Simulator Scheduling for 4 flight simulators providing a more efficient and professional booking system. Allowing pilots, engineers and instructional staff instant access via distributed information points. I also wrote of a number of Computer Aided Training (CAT) modules, providing aircraft system emulation. These became a key tool in the aircrew training programme.
- Microsoft Visual Basic 4.0, 5.0, Access Database and ODBC, Win32 API.
Flight Test Instrumentation Technician / British Aerospace PLC
Aug 1985 - Sep 1995
Responsible for all aspects of Flight Test Instrumentation development tasks on a wide range of development and production aircraft.
- 780 flying hours as a Flight Test Instrumentation Observer.
- BAe J31, J41, ATP, 125-800/1000, 146-100/200/300, RJ-70/85/100 Avroliner, Pilatus PC-XII, Nimrod Mk2/AEW, VC10 and Queens Flight 146.
- Worked overseas during system and performance trials as a part of a small Flight Test team.
- Performed Flight Test specialized duties at numerous overseas manufacturers and with the Royal Air Force on behalf of BAe Systems.
- Design and manufacture of analogue and digital interfaces to monitor aircraft flight performance, dynamics and systems.
- Pitot/static instrument calibration for the BAe Calibration Standards Facility.
- Wrote calibration utilities for calibrating pressure sensors.
- Trained Indonesian (I.P.T.N.) Engineers in Instrumentation practices.
- Electrical / mechanical design, liaison with design, production processes, aircraft system operation and fault diagnosis/rectification.
- Flight data recorder (FDR) calibration and data replay analysis.
Technical / Engineering Apprentice / British Aerospace PLC
Aug 1981 - Aug 1985
Embarked on a four-year Engineering Industry Training Board (EITB) apprenticeship.
- Electrical/Electronic and Mechanical manufacturing.
- Aerospace standards, drawing systems and processes.
- Broad based education covering electrical systems, mechanical systems, structures and aerodynamics.
- Digital circuit design and development using Seetrax Ranger 2XL PCB CAD Software.
- Assembly language programming on various microprocessors including 6502, 6809, 8086 and supporting peripherals
- PC Hardware integration, configuration and software installation
- Linux (Ubuntu 10.04).
- Currently developing an Embedded PC/CAN Bus based Engine Management and Navigation system for non-certified light aircraft.
Stockport College of Technology (Day Release)
1985 - 1991
HNC Electrical / Electronic Engineering
British Aerospace PLC, Woodford, Cheshire
1981 - 1984
EITB - Mechanical/Electrical/Aircraft Engineering Apprenticeship
Macclesfield College of Further Education (Block Release)
1981 - 1985
ONC Aircraft Systems and Electrical / Mechanical Engineering
Wilmslow Grammar School, Wilmslow, Cheshire
1979 - 1981
Therfield Secondary, Leatherhead, Surrey
1977 - 1979
'O' Levels Math's, Physics, Engineering drawing
- BTEC Higher National Certificate - Electrical and Electronic Engineering.
- Heroix Corporation - RoboMon, RoboEDA and RoboCentral Training Course.
- Electricity at Work (Health and Safety course).
- S.F.I.M. V and VI Data Acquisition Configuration and Operation.
- Aero medical & Safety Training School at RAE Boscombe Down.
- Mountbatten - Sea and Arctic Survival Course - RAF St. Mawgan.
- TRaC - ESD/EMC.
- MISRA ‘C’.
- CAN, SAE J1939.
- Vector Informatik - CANoe, CANalyser, CAPL.
- Date of Birth: 8th February 1965
- Nationality: British
- Holder of a full, clean UK Driving License (Light vehicles and Motorcycles).
- Holder of a UK Private Pilots License. PPL(A).
- Playing the Guitar/Drums/Keyboards.
- Live Music.
- Motor Sports.
- Football (was a Manchester City season ticket holder for many years).
- Built a Van’s Aircraft Inc. RV-6A kitplane (G-VANZ).
- Radio Controlled Scale Model Aircraft.